Vibrio cholerae is a comma-shaped, gram-negative bacterium. It is the cause of cholera in humans, which affects the upper small intestine. Transmission of the disease is mainly through contaminated food or water. Human subjects affected by cholera exhibit severe watery diarrhea and vomiting, caused by the cholera toxin produced by the bacterium. Many cases of cholera are life-threatening, as diarrhea and associated vomiting can lead to rapid dehydration and electrolyte loss. Even with the extensive research on its epidemiology, cholera still affects over 5 million people per year worldwide.
Norgen’s Vibrio cholerae PCR Detection Kit is a ready-to-use system for the isolation and detection of Vibrio cholerae without enrichment. First, the kit contains components for the rapid isolation of total DNA, including bacterial DNA, from stool samples using spin-column chromatography based on Norgen’s proprietary resin (Nucleic Acid Isolation). Second, the kit contains Vibrio cholerae Master Mix and controls to allow for PCR Ampification, as well as a Control Master Mix to allow for amplification of both an Isolation Control and a PCR Control. The amplified PCR products are then detected using agarose gel electrophoresis. Alternatively, detection can be performed based on real-time PCR using melt curves (Detection). Please see the flowchart to the right
The Vibrio cholerae Master Mix contains reagents and enzymes for the specific amplification of a 333 bp region of the Vibrio cholerae genome. In addition, Norgen’s Vibrio cholerae PCR Detection Kit contains a second Master Mix, the Control 2X PCR Master Mix, which can be used to identify possible PCR inhibition and/or inadequate isolation via a separate PCR with the use of the provided PCR Control (PCRC) or Isolation Control (IsoC). This kit is designed to allow for the testing of 24 samples. The Vibrio cholerae PCR Primer Set and Controls are also available separately for end-point PCR detection.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Isolate High Quality, Inhibitor-Free DNA - Removal of highly concentrated salts, metabolic wastes and proteins provides high quality, concentrated DNA.
- Rapid Procedure - Isolate and detect V. cholerae in under 3 hours.
- Accuracy in Interpreting Results – The amplification bands are clearly distinct, and the melt curves do not overlap
- High Sensitivity and Specificity - The V. cholerea PCR Mastermix can detect ≤100 copies of isolated DNA
- Purchase Primer Set and Controls Separately - The V. cholerae Primer set, as well as the positive control and negative control can be purchased separately