Norgen’s Plant/Fungi Total RNA Purification Kit provides a rapid method for the isolation and purification of total RNA, including viral RNA, from a wide range of plant and filamentous fungal species. Total RNA can be purified from fresh or frozen plant tissues, plant cells or filamentous fungi samples using this kit. All sizes of RNA are purified, from large mRNA and ribosomal RNA down to microRNA (miRNA) and small interfering RNA (siRNA). The procedure is rapid and convenient.
Purification is based on spin column chromatography using Norgen’s proprietary resin as the separation matrix. Briefly, the cells or tissue are homogenized in a mortar and pestle using liquid nitrogen. Next, the provided Lysis Solution is added and the lysate is then spun to pellet any debris. Ethanol is then added to the clarified lysate, and the solution is loaded onto a spin-column (BIND). Under these conditions only the RNA will bind to Norgen’s resin while most of the DNA and proteins are removed in the flowthrough. The bound RNA is then washed in order to remove any remaining impurities (WASH). Lastly, the purified total RNA is eluted into 50 µL of the supplied Elution Solution or water (ELUTE). Please see the procedure flowchart to the right.
The RNA is preferentially purified from other cellular components, such as proteins, without the use of phenol or chloroform. The purified RNA is of the highest integrity, and can be used in a number of downstream applications including real time PCR, reverse transcription PCR, Northern blotting, RNase protection and primer extension, and expression array assays. This kit is available in two convenient sizes - 50 preps and 96 preps.
Norgen's Plant/Fungi Total RNA Purification Kit is also available in a 96-well format for high throughput applications. Purification with the 96-well plates can be performed using either a vacuum manifold or centrifugation.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Isolate RNA from a wide range of samples - Total RNA can be isolated from a wide range of plant and filamentous fungi samples.
- Isolate a diversity of RNA species - All sizes of RNA are isolated from large mRNA down to microRNA, without the use of phenol or chloroform.
- Isolate total RNA, including viral RNA - RNA samples can be used for the detection of viral pathogens, as viral RNA is isolated with the total RNA.
- High yield of RNA - High yields of purified RNA can be isolated with this kit.
- No phenol:chloroform extractions - Total RNA is isolated without the use of harmful chemicals such as phenol or chloroform. RNA is of the highest quality and can be used in a number of downstream applications.
- Available in 2 sizes - This kits is available as both a 50 prep kit and a 96 prep kit.
- 96-well plate format availble - This kit is also available in a 96-well plate format for high throughput applications