Norgen’s Animal Tissue RNA Purification Kit provides a rapid method for the isolation and purification of total RNA from all types of animal tissue samples, including fiber-rich tissues such as muscle and heart. The kit can isolate RNA from fresh or flash-frozen tissues, as well as tissues stored in RNA preservation reagents such as RNAlater®. Norgen’s Animal Tissue RNA Purification Kit is provided with Proteinase K, which aids in the removal of the various proteins present in fiber-rich tissues including collagen, contractile proteins and connective tissues. The kit purifies all sizes of RNA, from large mRNA and ribosomal RNA down to microRNA (miRNA) and small interfering RNA (siRNA), without the use of inhibitory phenol or chloroform.
Purification is based on spin column chromatography using Norgen’s proprietary resin as the separation matrix. Briefly, the tissue of interest is first lysed using the Lysis Solution, followed by treatment with the provided Proteinase K. Ethanol is then added, and the RNA is bound to Norgen's column (BIND). Under these conditions only the RNA will bind to Norgen's resin while most of the contaminating cellular proteins and contaminants are removed in the flowthrough or retained on top of the resin. At this point an optional on-column DNase digestion can be performed using the provided DNase to remove any traces of DNA which may co-purify with the RNA. The bound RNA is then washed to remove any remaining impurities (WASH). Lastly, the purified total RNA is eluted into 50 µL of the provided Elution Buffer or water (ELUTE). Please see procedure flowchart to the right.
The purified RNA is of the highest integrity, and can be used in a number of downstream applications including real time PCR, reverse transcription PCR, Northern blotting, RNase protection and primer extension, and expression array assays.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Isolate a diversity of RNA species - All RNA species can be isolated, from large mRNA and ribosomal RNA down to microRNA (miRNA) and small interfering RNA (siRNA)
- Fast and easy processing - Rapid spin-column format allows for the processing of 10 samples in 50 minutes
- No phenol:chloroform extractions - Total RNA is isolated without the use of harmful chemicals such as phenol or chloroform
- Isolate total RNA from diverse range of tissue - Total RNA has been isolated and detected from regular high RNA content tissues such as liver and spleen and difficult to extract fibrous tissues such as heart and muscle
- Compatible with RNA Preservation Reagents - Total RNA has been isolated and detected from tissues stored in RNAlater®
- Recovered RNA is suitable for downstream applications - Purified RNA can be used in a number of downstream applications including real-time PCR, reverse transcription PCR, Northern blotting, RNase protection and primer extension, and expression array analysis requiring the use of intact RNA