Norgen’s Total RNA Purification Kit provides a rapid method for the isolation and purification of total RNA in as little as 20 minutes. The kit purifies all sizes of RNA, from large mRNA and ribosomal RNA down to microRNA (miRNA) and small interfering RNA (siRNA), without the use of phenol or chloroform. Norgen's kit is the only kit on the market that isolates true total RNA, as other kits must use phenol to recover all sizes of RNA. Therefore Norgen's kit offers significant advantages in functionality, savings on cost, ease-of-use, no hazardous organic waste, and no inhibitory effect on PCR amplifications as a result of residual phenol. With this kit both miRNA and mRNA can be studied from the same sample without further purifications, thus offering considerable advantages when comparing and relating expression of miRNA to other RNA. Furthermore, this is an excellent kit for the extraction of miRNA from all samples including plasma.
Total RNA can be isolated from a broad range of sample sources with this kit including cultured cells, tissues, blood, serum, plasma, bacteria, yeast, fungi, plants and viruses. Norgen's Total Purification RNA Kit works very well with small sample inputs and does not require carrier RNA for the extraction. Total RNA can be isolated from as little as a single cell using this kit.
Purification is based on spin column chromatography using Norgen’s proprietary resin as the separation matrix. Briefly, the cells or tissue of interest are first lysed using the provided Lysis Solution, ethanol is added and the RNA is bound to Norgen's column (BIND). Under these conditions only the RNA will bind to Norgen's resin while most of the contaminating cellular proteins are removed in the flowthrough or retained on top of the resin. The bound RNA is then washed to remove any remaining impurities (WASH). Lastly, the purified total RNA is eluted into 50 µL of the provided Elution Buffer or water (ELUTE). Please see procedure flowchart to the right.
Norgen’s proprietary resin provides superior affinity to the full size range of RNA molecules, resulting in large and small RNA (miRNA) purification with better linearity and sensitivity. The purified RNA is of the highest integrity, and can be used in a number of downstream applications including real time RT-PCR, RT-PCR, Northern blotting, RNase protection and primer extension, expression profiling, miRNA cloning and amplification and Next Generation Sequencing.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- No phenol:chloroform extractions - Total RNA is isolated without the use of harmful chemicals such as phenol or chloroform
- Isolate total RNA from very small samples - Total RNA has been isolated and detected from as little as a single animal cell
- Extremely efficient isolation of low abundance microRNA - Norgen's Total RNA Purification Kit has been shown to be extremely efficient at recovering low abundance microRNA from plasma samples (link)
- Isolate a diversity of RNA species - All RNA species can be isolated, from large mRNA and ribosomal RNA down to microRNA (miRNA) and small interfering RNA (siRNA)
- Fast and easy processing - Rapid spin-column format allows for the processing of 10 samples in 20 minutes
- Isolate total RNA from a broad input source - Total RNA has been isolated from cultured animal cells, small tissue samples, LCM samples, bacteria, yeast, fungi, plants, viruses and various bodily fluid including blood, plasma, serum, saliva, nasal or throat swabs
- No need for carrier RNA - Isolate all sizes of RNA without the use of carrier RNA
- Multiple kit sizes available - This kit is available in both 50 prep and 100 prep sizes